There will be one final early morning band rehearsal (Grade 9 band and Jazz band only) on Monday morning (June 14th). Attendance is really important as we will be doing a final run-through of all of our pieces for the concert. The rehearsal will run as follows:
7:45 am: Students set up the gym
7:55-8:20 am: Grade 9 Band run-through
8:25-8:45 am: Jazz Band run-through
Grade 7’s and 8’s had their final early morning rehearsals for this year last week and will not have an early morning rehearsal next week or the following week.
Thank you for your support in ensuring that your child attended early morning and after school band rehearsals throughout the year!
All students who have “home” instruments must return them to Mrs. Peters in the band room by Friday, June 18th. Students must bring instruments, books, and music to every band class until the end of the year. We will be playing, as well as updating the instrument and book inventory, during our final classes and students need to come prepared for class until the last day.
Thank you and have a great weekend,
The students are working hard to prepare the music for our final performance of the year, and we are all very excited to share the music with you LIVE on Tuesday! Please find below the information we have been asked to share from our operational plan, as well as the guest sign-in and pre-screening form. It looks like a lot, but we are all pretty familiar with COVID protocols at this point so I’m sure that it will go smoothly. Please check this document in advance to make sure you know which door to enter when you arrive.
Information for students:
Students are asked to arrive 20 minutes prior to their grade level concert and will enter the building through the same doors that their guests are using (see below). Students will pick up their instruments, assemble them, and then proceed directly to the gym to warm-up. Students will exit through the band room doors following the concert and will walk around to meet parents in the parking lot.
Information for guests:
- Audience members will register and pre-screen with a check list prior to arriving and will check in at the door. The Google sign-in form to register your guests, and to complete the pre-screening questions can be accessed by clicking on the link below. Guests must be registered by Friday, June 11th at 5:00 p.m. so that we can ensure that our total numbers do not exceed 150 and so that we have enough time to organize the check-in procedure at the doors. Your cooperation with meeting this deadline will be greatly appreciated.
- Audience members from different households are asked to physically distance in bleachers.
- There is no access to washroom facilities, but hand sanitizer will be available on the way into the gymnasium.
- Guests may not mix and are asked to leave through their designated exit immediately following the concert and wait for students outside.
Guest cohorts will line up outside and will be allowed to enter the building 5 minutes prior to the beginning of each concert.
Cohort 1: Guests of 7B and 7H (West gym door)
Cohort 2: Guests of 7A (Main door)
Cohort 1: Guests of 8E (West gym door)
Cohort 2: Guests of 8C and 8H (Main door)
Cohort 1: Guests of 9AG (West gym door)
Cohort 2: Guests of 9D (Main door)
All guests must leave through the same door that they entered immediately following the show.
I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday night!
*A reminder of concert times:
Grade 7: 6:00 pm
Grade 8: 7:00 pm
Jazz Band: 7:45 pm (more details will be provided for jazz band parents)
Grade 9: 8:00 pm
The grade 9 field trip to Confederation Centre is coming up on Wednesday and, as promised, here are a few more details:
1. Students will travel by bus to Confederation Centre and will be asked to stay with their class cohorts throughout the afternoon.
2. Mrs. Cole and I will be the teacher chaperones.
3. The show is 1 hr and 6 minutes in length starting at 2.00 pm with door opening at 1:30 pm.
4. Note from the director of guest service: “There is no intermission. The washrooms in the lobby are now All Gender and we are limited to only 7 stalls and 1 accessible. It would be great to have students use the washroom prior to arrival as much as possible as line ups can form quickly . However, that being said , of course they will have access to washrooms after they enter the theatre if need be.”
5. Parents should plan to pick students up by 3:15 p.m. at the Confederation Centre of the Arts. After the show, the students will be exiting the theatre through the colored doors on the upper plaza which is on the corner of Queen and Grafton. Parents can pick students up after the show on the upper plaza
6. Students who have permission to walk to another location for pick-up must provide a note on Wednesday, or parents can e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. to let me know that permission has been given.
Thank you for your support. The show is said to be moving and educational, and I hope that the students have a positive experience.
Click below to watch a 5 minute CBC video that provides some background on the true story that inspired “Between Breaths”.
Rehearsals this Week
In preparation for the final concert of the year on Tuesday, June 15th, we will follow the regular early morning rehearsal schedule this week.
Tuesday, June 8th: Grade 7 Early AM Band
Wednesday, June 9th: Grade 8 Early AM Band
Thursday, June 10th: Grade 9 Early AM Band
*I will be with the grade 9’s at the play on Wednesday afternoon, so Jazz Band will be rescheduled to Thursday (Day 4) from 12:25-12:55 p.m.
I am very pleased to tell you that our operational plan was approved, and our concert will go ahead on Tuesday, June 15th!
I will provide more details next week, but I wanted to let you know that the performance times (as outlined in our approved plan) will be as follows:
Grade 7 Band: 6:00 pm (students arrrive and enter by 5:40 pm)
Grade 8 Band: 7:00 pm (students arrive and enter by 6:40 pm)
Jazz Band: 7:45 (Grade 8 members will already be in the gym, Grade 7 and Grade 9 Jazz Band members should plan to arrive and enter at 7:30 pm)
Grade 9 Band: 8:00 pm (students arrrive and enter by 7:40 pm)
The total number of people in the gym is limited to 150 at this time. We are allowed to have one cohort (the band students and the director) on the gym floor and two cohorts divided between the two sets of bleachers. There are 49 student in the grade 7 band, 62 in the grade 8 band, and 52 in the grade 9 band.
Based on these numbers, grade 7 students may each invite two guests. A guest sign up sheet for contact tracing will be provided next week.
Grade 8 and 9 parents will also be asked to sign up to request their guest seats in advance. Each student in grade 8 and 9 will be able to have at least one guest. If the number of requests for a second guest exceeds our allowable limit in the gym, we will come up with a fair method to assign all available seats for second guests. More details will be provided next week.
Have a fantastic weekend!
Grade 9 Field Trip
The grade 9 band students will be taking a field trip to Confederation Centre of the Arts to see the musical “Between Breaths” on Wednesday, June 9th. An e-mail was sent to grade 9 parents through Groupwise on Friday, and it can also be viewed here:
Please let me know no later than Monday, May 31st if your grade 9 student will not be participating so that we can confirm our seats!
I am very excited to let you know that we are working on a plan for a final spring performance opportunity which would involve a separate short concert in the gym for each of our four bands (7, 8, 9 and Jazz) with a small audience in the bleachers. Details are still being worked out and, if our plan is approved, dates and times for the concerts will be provided early next week.
Rehearsals this Week
In preparation for the final concert of the year, we will follow the regular rehearsal schedule this week:
Tuesday, June 1st: Grade 7 Early AM Band
Wednesday, June 2nd: Grade 8 Early AM Band and Jazz Band from 3:15-4:15 pm
Thursday, June 3rd: Grade 9 Early AM Band
Tuesday, May 25th: Grade 7 Early AM Flute Sectional (Flutes only!)
Wednesday, May 26th: Grade 8 Early AM Band
Thursday, May 27th: Grade 9 Early AM Band
**Please note that Jazz Band is canceled after school on Wednesday. My apologies; meetings keep getting scheduled at this time! I will have a Jazz band meeting on Tuesday to see if we can find an alternate time to rehearse next week.
Jazz band will be held on Friday during the lunch break instead of on Thursday.